One John Cooper owned the land now known as Mineral Wells. Red Selectman bought this farm about 1850 and dug a well, the water of which seemed to have a curable effect for dropsy and other troubles. One man who had not seen his feet for twelve or fifteen years, after drinking this water a few weeks, lost thirteen inches in waist measurement, and continued drinking the water until he became normal size.

The news of this cure spread until Mineral Wells became a great summer resort by the early sixties. Many people came from Parkersburg and other places to stay all summer or just a day. Sweet corn was consumed at the rate of one ox wagon load a day. When the mineral water was low the proprietor, a good business man, hired water hauled from the creek and wells of the neighborhood and poured into his wells at night in order to keep up the supply. Old irons and salt were put in for the mineral effects. The business flourished for many years. A large hotel was built to accommodate the visitors.

A large dining room containing ten twelve foot tables extended the length of the front of the building. A smaller dining room had four tables in it. An outside stairs led to the upstairs porch which extended the full length of the hotel. Rooms opened onto the porch. Dancing and bowling were main diversions and there were many grapevine swings in the grove to offer amusement. The building burned in 1900. The ruins of the foundation and the two wells are still to be located.

The first election for Mineral Wells Community was held at the Edwin Butcher place at the foot of the Butcher Hill on May 3, 1863.




click for larger image